Sunday, 20 January 2013

Banana chocolate muffin recipe


W
e did some baking the other day, me and the kids.  I had to steal myself for it on account of the chaos that I knew would ensue with two infant-school children wanting to ‘help’.

But it’s one of those things us mums do because we know they like it, don’t we. They were so keen to get their hands dirty they washed them first, if you know what I mean.

For some reason they lurve the Come Dine With Me TV programme, so cooking is current for them. So current they were willing to follow almost every instruction I gave them. Very unusual in our house!

They each got a stool to stand on so they could reach the worktops and meekly covered their school uniforms with an apron then looked expectantly at me for the next instruction.

They got a bit miffed when I said no to them measuring out the ingredients alone, but were happy enough to tell me when the needle on the scales reached the right numbers.

I’m not a good cake-making baker. My sponges usually come out like biscuits but I’ve made these banana-chocolate muffins twice now (once with the help of the little people) and each time I’ve impressed not only the family but myself, too. I can’t get enough of them.


Now I look at the fruit bowl and yearn for the yellow bananas to turn an unattractive shade of, well... black.

This recipe makes 12 muffins. I thought we’d be putting half a dozen in the freezer and eating the rest fresh. Not so. They were consumed in 24 hours.

I found this recipe on the Waitrose website, it was originally without choc chips but I substituted the pecans for the chocolate. Let me share it with you:

Banana chocolate muffins
Makes 12
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
244 cals per serving.

Ingredients

2 large, very ripe bananas (nice black skins!)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
125ml whole milk
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 x ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g dark brown soft sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
50g porridge oats, plus 1 tbsp for topping (I chose to leave this out)
50g chocolate chips (or you could substitute this for chopped pecans)

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Line a muffin tin with cases. In a bowl, mash the bananas and stir with the eggs, melted butter and milk.
  2. Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Add the sugar, oats and chocolate chips or pecans; mix. Make a well in the centre and add the banana mixture; stir with a fork until just combined.
  3. Spoon into the cases. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp oats over the muffins; bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave for 5 minutes; remove to cool on a wire rack.
    Enjoy. If you make them let me know what you think. Remember, you don’t need to sign up for a Gmail account, you can choose the anonymous option and put your name at the end of your comment. Get cooking. And prestopeople.

Nutritional info

Energy                         244 cals
Carbohydrate              32.1g
Sugars                         15.1g
Fat                               10.4g
Saturated Fat                 4.3g
Salt                                0.46g





1 comment:

  1. These sound lovely, I will be making them this week! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

googled60e9290a37aef11.html